Clay and I (did I mention I have a little brother? Actually 3 of 'em but more about that later), went down to "dam up" the water overflowing from the small pond. Clay is about 6 years old at this time, which would have made me a very responsible 12 year old. (actually, Mom might disagree about the "very responsible" part :) Anyway, we went down to investigate the tank dam, and see what we might do about that water pouring over the top of the dam. When you live on a farm, you have to tend to important tasks like that, cause if you don't, who will?
So, Clay and I are off to take care of things... Which we did for a while. We put sticks, and mud, and tried to stop the water from running over. Turns out though, that neither of us was much of a beaver, and we didn't stop the leak. Then, I turned my attention to other important matters. Like killing snakes, and turtles, and stuff. I had my pellet gun (Crossman 760), and I was dutiflully clearing the pond of unwanted water moccasins, etc.
Clay, however, wasn't satisfied with playing in the water, and redirecting the water flow. He really wants me to show him my... prowess... with my bb gun. I of course, felt it important to oblige, as being an older brother has a certain amount of responsibility to set a mark that he can try to achieve at some point in his life. To set a goal, so to speak. I was the best shot I knew of with a bb gun. (The fact that my experience was limited is not really applicable to this story)
So, I pointed to a dragon fly sitting on a stick, and pumped my gun 4 times. "Watch this", and as Clay stared, I calmly clipped that dragon fly in two with a well placed shot. Needless to say, Clay was impressed, and he looked around for something else to shoot. Which brings us to the little puddle of water that he had dammed up, and trapped a couple of top-water minnows. Now for those who don't know what a top-water minnow is, it's a small fish about 1 inch long, that swims near the bank, and lives among the reeds along shore. It has to hide, as it is dinner for larger fish, birds, or other critters along the lake. At any rate, these minnows never swim in a straight line, but twitch back and forth, and are actually kind of hard to hit with a bb gun.
Clay points to the little fish, and says, "Here Johnnie, see if you can hit one of these". Ha, Ha, I think. He really doesn't have any idea just how good of a shot I am does he... So... I pump the gun 2 times, take careful aim, and squeeze off a shot. That fish was as good as dea... wait! OH NO!
Clay had reached for the fish, just as I shot. The bb hit him in the knuckle on his index finger, and pierced the skin, and was sitting there like a lump under the skin... I squeezed his finger, and popped that succer out like a purple hull pea out of the pod. He screamed and cried for a little while, and finally settled down. I knew however, that this was BAD. I would NEVER get my bb gun back if Mom found out. So... "Please, Clay, Please, Don't tell momma, please!!!!!!"
Don't worry, I promise I won't tell.
Pshewwwww, Boy, I felt a lot better now... We kept playing, and building dams, but for the most part, the fun was gone. So, after about 30 minutes or so, we headed back to the house, to check on lunch.
As we approached the house, Mom opened the door, and looks at us, and from behind me, I hear... "Waaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! Johnny Shot Me!!!!".
But you..., I mean we had an agree... You weren't even crying a minute ago... Oh, I give up. Thanks Clay!
Yep, about like I figured. Mom and Dad took away my bb gun for a full YEAR! Sigh!!!!
Faith said, "This is one of my favorite stories dad :) You wrote it a bit slower than you tell it and I think you left a few things out!"
ReplyDeleteSusan wife of John... adds...What a FUN - AMAZING - Childhood God let you all have.... The Mathis Farm... A DAIRY FARM at the beginning...
Now on to the stories of this FAMOUS bb gun... Hmmmm shotting holes in the roof of the hay barn and hmmm LAURA did I hear a story of you shooting a car window out with this FAMOUS or INFAMOUS bb gun???
Why Susan, I'm sure I don't have any idea what you are talking about. I was a perfect angel, as a child! :o) .............. Please excuse my while I go shine my halo....it's a tiny bit tarnished. haha
ReplyDeleteSusan, Laura is having a CRS moment. I was there she did it, and WE had to cut grass all summer!!!
ReplyDelete